Extra virgin olive oil forms the basis of the renowned Mediterranean diet. It constitutes the main health-promoting component of this diet. The Mediterranean diet is cited as beneficial for being low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber. Its benefits are thought to derive mainly from the health effects of the olive oil included in it.
which Homer calls ``liquid gold” and Hippocrates believes is “the great healer”
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, most notably oleic acid, which is under clinical research for its potential health benefits. The European Food Safety Authority Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies approved health claims on olive oil, for protection by its polyphenols against oxidation of blood lipids and for its contribution to the maintenance of normal blood LDL-cholesterol levels, when saturated fats in the diet are replaced with oleic acid.
The Monastery of Metamorphosis
The olive groves of the Monastery of Metamorphosis, which produce our olive oil and honey, are situated in the area of Molai, in Laconia Greece. The Monastery itself has a very long history, dating back many centuries. It is mentioned for the first time in 1301, in a so-called “chrysobull” or “golden bull”, i.e. an imperial decree, by the Byzantine emperor Andronicus Palaiologos II. It also appears in documents dating from 1699, at which time the Peloponnese was under the Republic of Venice, following the Morean wars; the Monastery of Metamorphosis is listed there as belonging to the ecclesiastical fortune of the Monemvasia (the Venetian “Malvasia”) metropolis. In the 1699 census, the Monastery of Metamorphosis is described as having been renovated 2 years previously, therefore in 1697, a fact which implies its establishment and presence for a long time prior to that date. According to this same census, there were present at this time in the monastery 1 abbot, 2 priest-monks, 4 monks, 3 workers paid for by the monastery, and 5 children. Remarkably, it’s clearly stated that these 5 children were learning the Greek language in the monastery, indicating its active role as a so-called “hidden school” for teaching the Greek language and Christian doctrine under Ottoman rule. In the surrounding lands belonging to the monastery, as described in the census, there were “horses, sheep, goats, honeycombs, olive trees and many other planted trees.”
Leoforos Pentelis 58
tel: +30 211 111 7393
mob.: +30 694 554 0843